Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Unexpected Love

                How I met Collin was never expected. I always wished that I would meet the love of my life at a bar or the mall, but never did I think I would meet him by moving into my college dorm. Collin was in the C.L.A.S.S. program and part of that program was to help move everyone into their dorms. I was lucky enough to have him helping me.
            He took his time moving things into my dorm. At the time, I couldn’t tell that he had a crush on me. I guess it didn’t click that he didn’t want to help anyone else move in, only me. And, of course, Aubrey, my roommate. He helped move everything in for the both of us and we barely had to lift a finger. He was my dream husband in teenage form.
            After he moved us in, he spent the rest of the day and “Welcome Week” with us. He bought us dinner and took us to movies. He was my male best friend and was slowly becoming the love of my life. And Aubrey felt the same. I knew I wasn’t going to fight my best friend and roommate for Collin so we agreed to let him choose who he wanted to be with.  It was the most nerve-wracking and longest week of my life.
            “Casey, I know who I want to be with.” He told me.
            “Whatever decision you made, I understand.” I said.
            “What are you talking about? I came here to tell you that I want to be with you.” He smiled. “I choose you.”
            To this day, I still don’t know why he chose me over Aubrey. She wouldn’t tell me and he refused to talk more about it. We got married shortly after school ended and moved to New York for me to live my dream as a publisher. Three years later, we had our first child and named her Aubrey after her godmother.
            The love I found was unexpected but worth every heart break and lost friend. You never know when you’ll fall in love. Embrace it and the love one you’re with. After all, they chose you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment