Saturday, June 8, 2013

Growing Old

Today, I celebrated my graduating of high school (although I don't technically graduate for another 6 days). It was amazing to see both sides of my family and SOME of my so-called friends. I guess growing up comes with losing some of the people you cared about and thought cared about you too. You grow apart from the ones you shared almost your entire life with, the ones you shared your deepest, dark secrets with. The ones you would take a bullet for. Today was one of those days when I realized I won't have the same friends after I move away. So, thank you, Leann, Haley, Matt, Zach, and Bekah for being amazing friends to me.

Five years ago, my family was torn apart by things that were said but not meant. It was hard not seeing my young cousins and Aunts, who I was so close with. December of 2012, my great-grandpa passed away and it brought my family close again (except for my brother, who is a whole other story). I got to see them for Christmas and Easter, and today to celebrate me graduating high school and going to college. Now, my grandmother on my mom's side is the best woman I know. She does so much for me, for my family, for my friends! I don't know how my Aunts went five years without speaking to her. That's just nuts.

My dad's side is a different story. My MawMaw passed away of breast cancer 17 days before I was born. I didn't even get to meet her. My grandfather (who I call "Poppy"), after we moved from Muncie, didn't talk to us much after that. He was barely in our lives, same with my Aunt Mindy and cousin Amanda. I do have to say, it was nice seeing them helping me celebrate this HUGE accomplishment in my life.

It's hard for me to say I'm growing up and moving on. But, a friend of mine once said, "Growing up is optional, growing older is mandatory." In so many ways, he is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment