Monday, July 1, 2013

The Perfect Cut

                Being an aspiring actress is not an easy life style. I ended up all by myself when I made my decision to move away from my family. Thankfully, I got my cosmetology license when I was in high school. It made getting a job a lot easier and paying for school a lot faster. I had bought myself an apartment and paid for my schooling within a month of starting my job at Great Clips. It was probably the best decision I ever made.
            Every day, I got used to seeing celebrities and almost celebrities. But nothing surprised me more than when he walked through the doors of Great Clips and asked for me. Me. I’ve never seen this guy before in my life but he seemed to know who I was. Because of how odd I thought it was, and a little bit creepy, I took my time with the customer I was with.
            Let me tell you about this guy. He stood at six feet tall with shirt brown hair. He wore his glasses into the store and I was unable to see the color of his eyes. I thought they were hazel. I have this “sixth” sense and I know, depending on their physical nature, what color their eyes are. I have this thing for hazel-eyed men. It’s actually more like an obsession. Anyway, he was built and chiseled, and his smile made me swoon. It was love at first sight.
            I finished with my first customer and walked up to the screen. I made a clicking noise. “Is Jo here?” I asked. Radio silence.
            “Emery, you have a customer who has requested your service.” Josie said.
            I looked at the screen. “Bryan?”
            He stood up and I almost fell over. I could see his abs and muscles through his tight white shirt. I snapped out of the trance he put me in and cut his hair. I did what he wanted and made no conversation with him. I wanted a clean break. There’s no way I would see him again. It’s like an once-in-a-lifetime kind of thing. At least, I hoped so.
            For three months, he continuously came to get his haircut by me. And slowly our relationship started to blossom. It was small talk at first. How long have you been in town? What do you do for a living? Was haircutting your first choice for a job? Are you famous like most of the people who live here? I fell more and more in love with him as the months wore on. But there was still that nagging question of how he knew me before we met.
            “Bryan, why did you request me to cut your hair?” I asked.
            “Because a buddy of mine told me that you’re the best. He wasn’t lying.”
            “I don’t know if I remember your friend.”
            “I don’t expect you too. I just want you to remember me.” He smiled his gorgeous smile.
            “Believe me, I won’t forget you. No matter how hard I try.” I said.
            That was the last time I saw Bryan. He told me that we were getting too close and he wasn’t good at commitment and he didn’t want to hurt me. I guess I understood but either way, he hurt me.

            Maybe all I was to him was a perfect haircut.  

No comments:

Post a Comment