Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Follow Your Heart

            All my life I’ve wished that one guy would fall for me. Just one guy that would make me feel beautiful and loved. Someone I could tell all my secrets to without judgment and love me anyway. Oddly enough, I’ve dreamed of the moment when I’m swept off my feet by the man of my dreams. I mean, what girl doesn’t?
            Well, everything I’ve dreamed of came true twice! Both at the same time. Conor Owens, the one person I’ve had a crush on since the first day of middle school, finally realized that I exist. We worked together innocently on a one-day project for our AP Calculus class. I don’t know why or how it happened but it happened and it was nice. He treated me like a princess when I didn’t make him upset or when we didn't have a fight. He made me feel like I was the only woman in the world to him. He was truly what I’ve dreamt about.
            And then there’s Keller James. You could call him the “bad boy” of our school. He has tattoos and rides a motorcycle. He skips classes that he doesn’t like and he smokes. In all honesty, I don’t know why I fell for him. I guess the “bad boy” spell really is true. I knew from the moment I tripped and bumped into him that he could be the one. And all of a sudden I had two prom dates and a week to decide between the two. A hard decision it was.
            “Mom, what am I supposed to do? I like both of them.” I said.
            “Kara, honey, I can’t tell you what to do. You have to make that decision by yourself.” She said.
            “I can’t choose one over the other! The dates I’ve been on with both of them were amazing. How am I supposed to choose?”
            “I know from experience, I had to choose between your father and another man, and I love the decision I made.” She said.
            “How’d you do it?” I asked.
            “I followed my heart and you should do the same.”
            I took my mom’s advice and started thinking. Who did I have the most fun with? Who did I laugh the most with? Who did I meet first? Who asked me to prom first? The answers to all those questions was Conor. I can’t remember a time I had fun with Keller. I was attracted to him because he was a bad boy and gorgeous.
            I sighed and made my decision. I knew who I wanted and needed to be with. It was a simple answer and I knew it all along.
            I saw him at his locker and walked over to him. “Hey, Kara,” He said. “what’s up?”
            “I’ve made my decision for prom.” I said.
            “And I’m guessing it’s not me?”
            “Actually, Conor, I’m here to tell you that I want to go to prom with you.”
            He had the biggest smile on his face and asked me about the color of my dress. Prom was amazing and I felt like a princess. I don’t think I would’ve had the same experience if I went with Keller. 

No comments:

Post a Comment