Thursday, July 11, 2013

Prom

          There was a time in my life when Prom was all I thought about. I hated the fact that I wasn't asked when I was a Freshman or a Sophomore. By the time I was a Junior, I didn't want to go. There was just something about not going with a date that made it less spectacular. I wanted to feel like a princess in my gown, walking into Prom with a prince that had rescued me from my lonely and pathetic life. I always thought it would be one of the "popular" guys. I guess I forgot that they were shallow as all get out.
           Senior year rolled around and there was no way to get out of Prom again. My mother made me promise that I would go Senior year. I was put through multiple hours of agony, trying on dress after dress, dreading the way I looked in all of them. Three hours were spent in David Bridal's looking for dresses that didn't fit me right. My sister found her perfect dress. Oh! I forgot to mention that I was forced to take my Sophomore sister. It was pretty sad that she found her dress before I did. Later that day, we made our way to Deb, where I found the perfect dress. It was mint green with pearls and jewels on the straps. I instantly fell in love with the dress.
          For month's after finding the perfect dress, the weeks were filled with buying my Prom tickets and my post-prom tickets, finding the right nail salon, and picking the hair-style that worked best with my hair. My best friend, sister, my sister's best friend, and I decided to go in a huge group. We adopted two more people into the group and voted my parents to drive us to the hotel. We ate at Red Robins before getting dressed all fancy-like and then went back home and got ready. It was endless picture taking before getting in the van to go. It was hell getting in and out of the van with my body-length dress and heels.
           We stood in line for a good half-hour before getting tested for alcohol and finding a table to take my devil shoes off. My best friend and I met up with some friends and headed to the dance floor. It was odd at first, we were too embarrassed to dance. After a few hours, we broke out of our shells and started dancing. It was hard to stop. The entire time while dancing, I wished that I had a date to grind on like the rest of the girls were doing with their boyfriends. I would have given anything to have been swept off my feet by the prince I've been wishing for since day one.
             The night was coming to an end and still no prince, no grinding, and no wish come true. Sure, I was having fun with my best friend, but I couldn't help but think it would have been better with a date.  
            "Excuse me, Johanna?"
            I turned to see a guy standing behind me with his hand stretched out towards me.
            "Yes?"
            "May I have this dance?"
            "I don't know who you are."
            "Does it matter?"
            "I guess not. Sure."
             He might not have been my prince nor did I ever find out who he was but he made my night ten times better just by asking me to dance. Prom night ended on a great note.

No comments:

Post a Comment