Friday, July 12, 2013

The Imperfectly Perfect Relationship

                  Jay and Annette had the perfect relationship. He was the quarterback of the football team and she was the valedictorian. He made multiple touch downs and she made straight-A’s. He stood with the “it” crowd and she stood with the nerds. He dated pretty blondes and she dated no one. He only existed in her dreams and she only existed when he needed help with schoolwork. They were complete opposites who fell deeply in love.
            It was as if faith was pushing them together all four years of high school. Jay and Annette had homeroom together and at least one other class together all four years yet he had no idea who she was. She knew who he was. Who didn’t know who he was? She was his biggest fan. She knew everything about him, from when his birthday was to his favorite food. She knew absolutely everything.
            Senior year is when it all happened. Annette got her braces off and grew into her nose, and became one of the most attractive girls in Cornell High School. Still, Jay had no idea who she was. She was invisible in his eyes and was about ready to give up on her crush when, on one fateful day, they were partnered up together for an end-of-the-year project.
            “Hey, I’m Jay.” He said when he sat down next to her.
            “Yeah, I know.” She said.
            “I’m sorry but I don’t know who you are.”
            She snorted. “Annette Washington. And, I’ve only been in your homeroom all four years.”
            “I know you! You look different.” He said.
            "I've grown up. High school does that to a person." She said.
            "High school has been very nice to you."
            "Thanks . . . I think." She shook her head. "How about we start this project?"
             They worked day and night on the school project. Annette wanted to keep her straight-A's but she was finding that terribly difficult to do with the love of her love sitting next to her. She knew that the crush she had on Jay was absurd but she couldn't help it. Love was love and she was determined to do something about it. She took a bold step and invited him over to her house to work instead of working at his house.
             "Are these pictures of you as a baby?" He asked.
             "I think I should have reminded my dad to take those down." She said.
             "No, they're cute. I like seeing this side of my friends."
             "Oh. I didn't know we were friends."
             "Of course we are!" He said.
             "Two weeks ago you didn't know who I was. Now we're friends? The last time I checked, we're partners." She said.
             "I knew who you were."
             "Then why did you act like you had no idea who I was?"
             "Because I didn't want you to know that I asked Mrs. Timms to partner us together." He confessed.
             "This isn't making any sense. Why would you ask her to put us together?" She asked.
             "I have two reasons why, actually. Firstly, you're the valedictorian, and secondly, I've had a crush on you for the longest time."
             "Is this a cruel joke or a bet?" She asked.
             "I've done a lot of bad things in my past but I would never do that to anyone. I promise." He said.
             "This is unreal." She said.
             "What are you talking about?"
             "I've liked you since the first day of homeroom together but you acted like I didn't exist. Why now the sudden interest?"
             "I guess high school has been good to me too. I'm not an immature freshman anymore. I've changed. And for the better." He said.
             "What did you think you could accomplish by asking to work with me?" She asked.
             "A chance. That's all I wanted."
             "A chance at what?"
             "Okay, you're extremely stupid for an extremely smart girl. I like you. I want to date you. I want a chance with you." He said.
              She smiled. "I think you just lost your chance when you called me stupid."
             "Really?" He asked.
             "No."
             He smiled and they finished their project. After a short time of dating secretly, they decided to take their love public. It was by far the best high school love story at Cornell High. I don't know where they are now but I know they are in love and will forever be in love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment