Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Two Parts of My Life

“I bet you’re a great writer. You probably have great stories to tell.”
                Someone said this to me while discussing what I do and don’t believe in when it comes to religion (that’s a story for another day). I’ve been through some rough times when I was younger. I won’t go into detail; no one needs to know what I’ve been through. All you need to know is that it was bad enough to never wish it upon my worst enemy.
                I’m a writer, if you couldn’t tell. But just because what happened to me, happened to me, doesn’t mean I want to share it with everyone else through fiction. Granted, it probably would make a great story, but I would never want to drag my readers through the emotional ride my life has been. Not only that, but I feel like if I wrote what happened to me into a story, I’m immortalizing those who did what they did to me. They don’t deserve to make an appearance in my future after what they did to me in my past.
                I don’t write stories to please my potential readers, I write because I have the gifts of creativity and imagination. I write because it makes me happy. I write because sometimes it takes the pain away. I write because there are lives I can create, personalities I can choose, and characters I can love. I write because I can create this imaginary life where nothing of what happened to me happened to me.
                So, no, I don’t have great stories to tell, because those stories have already been told. I tell the stories of the unknown parts of my existence. I tell the stories of the life I wish I had, instead of the life I have. I create characters based off of certain characteristics I lack, because it makes me feel like I’m living both lives instead of just the one that didn’t go the way I planned.
                To sum up my little rant, I’ll leave you with the wise words of Joss Whedon:

                “I write to give myself strength. I write to be the characters that I am not. I write to explore all the things I’m afraid of.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment