Saturday, May 9, 2015

My Life is Going in One Direction

** If I can pull myself out of a terrible situation, then so can you. You just have to find a reason to fight. I found five. Here is how I feel about the five people I credit with helping me save my own life.**

One Direction:
                There comes a time in every young girl’s life when they fall for a boy. She sees the young boy every day and tries her very best to remember the sweet, velvet sound of his voice. She gets so obsessed with this boy that she thinks she’s in love, that nothing can come between them. She kisses a picture of him good-night, hoping that he would soon notice her. She knows anything and everything that has to do him, stuff that even his own mother wouldn’t know. She has fallen for a celebrity.
                Louis Tomlinson, Zayn Malik, Liam Payne, Niall Horan, and Harry Styles, to me, you five are that “celebrity” that I’ve fallen in love with. The funny thing about my relationship with you is that it’s different than the relationship the young girls hope for. For those little girls, they are love-struck with your popularity, while, for me, I am truly in love with you all.
                I fell in love with the fact that you see the beauty in everyone and everything. You see the beauty in your fans. You call them passionate rather than crazy. You talk to them from your hotel rooms. You make sure they’re safe while waiting to see you. You give them the hope and love any young girl or teenage girl yearns for. Happiness. You make them happy. You make me happy.
                I fell in love with your personalities and your smiles. I fell in love with the way you five acted towards each other. I fell in love with your voices. But mostly, I fell in love with the way you made me feel like I was meant to be someone, the way you made believe I was beautiful, the way you made me feel safe. I fell in love with the way the five of you saved my life.       
                Three years ago, I was slipping into a very bad place. I would look in the mirror and get disgusted with myself (I’m what you would call chubby and not that very attractive). I found myself often comparing myself to models and people at my school. I never did anything right at home nor did I have amazing grades like my brother did. I wasn’t near as smart as he was and he told me that all the time. My grandparents would send newspaper clippings to my mom about obesity and diabetes, and exercise and weight loss to show to me. I never felt so bad before until I saw those clippings. I know my body isn’t the right size for my height but they made it seem like I liked living this way and made me feel even worse about myself. I felt cornered and had no one to talk to. I only had one good friend but she was fighting her own battles, and I wasn’t social enough to talk to anyone else. I felt and was alone.
                I was depressed. My grades took a turn for the worse and I could barely get out of bed for school. I put on a smile and pretended everything was okay when I went to school and when I was around my friends (It was rare to see me with anyone but the one friend I was talking about before). I was so good at it. No one ever thought that there was anything wrong with me. At night, I would cry myself to sleep and imagine a life where I was perfect in every way. But when reality hit, my perfect world went away.
                I heard about you over twitter and decided it wouldn’t hurt to look you up on YouTube. I fell in love instantly. I watched all your video diaries and your performances on X Factor, and it changed my life. Your video diaries got me to really laugh for the first time in months and it was a nice feeling. I listened to your performances over and over again for months and months as I waited patiently for your first single, album, anything. For the first time, I felt like myself and that’s all I ever wanted. I just wanted to love myself.
                When “What Makes You Beautiful” was released, I thought that I was truly beautiful. I listened to that song on repeat for weeks before I got the courage to start living my life the way I wanted to. My grades got better and I smiled all the time. It was, for once, my real smile. I felt on top of the world. I felt like nothing could stop me from being happy.
                Love ruined my happiness this time. I was head-over-heels in love with one of my brother’s friends. He was so nice to me. The way I felt around him was different than any feelings I’ve ever had before. I honestly thought it was love at first sight for me. Not so much for him. When he looked at me, it felt like he was looking right through me, like I was invisible. But when I realized he didn’t feel the same way about me, I felt worthless and thought that no one would love me. Depression was becoming a very close friend of mine. I tried listening to “What Makes You Beautiful” like I did before. It didn’t have an effect on me like the first time I turned to it for happiness.
                Instead, I watched your video diaries and your performances on the X Factor again, and I listened to the whole album of “Up All Night” on a daily basis. After a little while, I was myself again. And then “Take Me Home” was released and I felt on top of the world once more. “Little Things” had the most impact on me and I’m not quite sure why, but it did. It was the same way with “Kiss You” and “Live While We’re Young.” All your songs made me feel like the teenager I wanted to be instead of the one that I was becoming. I took control of everything that was happening to me and made it positive.
                “Midnight Memories” is by far the best album you’ve written. Every single song is relatable. When I feel myself going to a bad place, all I have to do is listen to “Diana.” It feels like that song was written for me, even though I know it wasn’t because I know I’m not the only one in a bad place. And saying that it was somehow written for me might make me seem a little selfish because a lot of other people are in far worse places than I am, but if being selfish saves my life, then selfish is what I’ll be. When I listen to that song, I can actually imagine you five coming to my rescue. “Diana” is the hand that is pushing me away from the edge.
                However, I have come to realize that I’ve been influenced by you all too much. I have come to realize that I can’t think I’m beautiful just because four British guys and one Irish guy tell me that I am. Well, you never really told me I am, but that’s how I portray it in “What Makes You Beautiful.” I need to be able to realize it on my own. You helped me through depression, problems with my family, and facing my first heartbreak. But, what you can’t help me do is feel beautiful. Trust me, I’ve tried and tried to convince myself that you think I’m beautiful, that all girls are. Let’s face it, you can’t say that. You’ve never met us, never met me.  You don’t know our problems. You don’t truly know if we’re beautiful or not.
                I decided to tell you MY story because I believe you have the right to know how you’ve helped me. I also decided to tell you MY story because, in a weird way, I think of you as my best friends. And, honestly, I couldn’t imagine any other guys being my friend’s like you’ve been to me. But, I mainly told you MY story because of what I said about being “beautiful” and how you don’t truly know if someone is beautiful. Now, you know my problems and what all I’ve been through. Maybe now, I can truly be beautiful in someone’s eyes.
                I told you all of this because this is an appreciation letter and a thank you letter wrapped into one. I don’t think of you five as saving my life. It’s more like you gave me the strength to save my own life. I was headed down a dark path before I heard about you. Who knows where I would be if you all were never on the X Factor, and I don’t really want to think about that.  You gave me the strength to realize that I needed to love myself before I could go out and chase my dreams. And that’s what I’m doing. I graduated high school in the top 50 of my class with an Honor’s Diploma. I’m in college now, Ball State University, working on my degree in Creative Writing and Journalism. I’m happy about where my life is at the moment and it’s because of all of you.
                So, Harry Styles, Niall Horan, Liam Payne, Zayn Malik, and Louis Tomlinson, thank you so much for giving me the strength to be myself. Thank you for being there when no one else was. Thank you for showing me that life is worth living. Thank you for telling me to chase my dreams. And, lastly, thank you for helping me feel beautiful inside and out. That’s all I’ve ever wanted.
Thank you all for being who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment